Lions Camp Horizon provides a fun summer camp experience for individuals from eight years of age throughout adulthood. Here campers get a chance to make new friends, learn new skills, and create unforgettable memories in an environment focused on acceptance and with an emphasis on the remarkable things they can accomplish. We strive to accept everyone who applies for admission. But, with the safety of each camper, our staff, and our volunteers in mind, each applicant must meet the following standards. Final discretion falls to our Camp Director and Health Administrator.
- The applicant must be able to benefit physically, mentally, and/or socially from our activities and programs.
- The applicant must have a desire and willingness to participate in most of our activities.
- The applicant must have a diagnosed developmental and/or medical disability appropriate to our programs.
- The applicant must have a level of health and behavioral continuity manageable in our camp setting. Some examples of conditions that are, or, may not be appropriate for admission include but aren’t limited to:
- Seizures not reasonably controlled with medication
- Medical conditions requiring 1:1 nursing care (e.g. frequent nursing procedures, unstable diabetes, excessive number of medications)
- Individuals requiring mechanical assistance for physical transfers
- Individuals dependent on technical equipment/apparatus such as ventilators
- Applicants who are medically unstable due to medication changes
- The need for a private room at night to manage night-time behaviors
- Displays of violent outbursts or physical violence towards self or others
- Destruction of personal property
- The applicant must be adaptable to a group living environment and be able to do the following:
- Sleep in a dormitory style setting without excessive disruptive behavior
- Take meals in a cafeteria style setting without excessive disruptive behavior
- Remain with his/her assigned group throughout the day and night
- Follow directions given by our counselors, staff, and volunteers
An applicant will not be admitted the day of check-in if his/her health endangers others or if there is a problem requiring the attention of a physician. Such conditions include but are not limited to:
- A temperature of 100 degrees or above
- Feeling ill in any way
- An open wound or lesion; or a rash
- Parasites such as lice and scabies
- Any signs of an infectious or communicable disease/illness
Lions Camp Horizon reserves the right to dismiss any individual from participation in program activities if staff determines medical conditions or behaviors exhibited by the camper pose harm to himself/herself or others. Considerable discussion and deliberation is given before an individual is deemed unable to meet our minimum standards and must be dismissed. Dismissal does not necessarily deny the individual admission to future camp programs. However, an interview will be required with the camper, the parent/guardian and/or primary care givers as part of the application process.
Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Upon receipt, camp staff will review the application as quickly as possible and will make every attempt to fulfill your choice of session(s). Following review, you will receive an email advising the status (acceptance, added to out “wait list”, denial, or incomplete application.)
We appreciate your interest in our summer camp programs and thank you for your patience during this process.
- Registration Fees are non-refundable.
- Written cancellation received 90 days before session start date: 100% refund
- Written cancellation received 60 days before session start date: 75% refund
- Written cancellation received 30 days before session start date: 50% refund
- No refunds will be issued with less than 30 days cancellation. Medical issues will be reviewed on an individual basis.