Camper Eligibility Policy
Lions Camp Horizon provides a fun summer camp experience for individuals from twelve years of age throughout adulthood. Here, campers get a chance to make new friends, learn new skills, and create unforgettable memories in an environment focused on acceptance and with an emphasis on the remarkable things they can accomplish. We strive to accept everyone who applies for admission and provide accommodations within reason. But, with the safety of each camper, our staff, and our volunteers in mind, each applicant must meet the following standards. Final discretion falls to our camp director and health administrator.
- The applicant will benefit physically, mentally, and/or socially from our activities and programs.
- The applicant has a desire and willingness to participate in most of our activities.
- The applicant has a diagnosed developmental and/or medical disability appropriate to our programs.
- The applicant has a level of health and behavioral continuity manageable in our camp setting. Some examples of conditions that are, or, may not be appropriate for admission include, but aren’t limited to:
- Seizures not reasonably controlled with medication
- Medical conditions requiring 1:1 nursing care (e.g. frequent nursing procedures, unstable diabetes, excessive number of medications)
- Individuals requiring mechanical assistance for physical transfers
- Individuals dependent on technical equipment/apparatus such as ventilators
- Applicants who are medically unstable due to medication changes
- The need for a private room at night to manage night-time behaviors
- Displays of violent outbursts or physical violence towards self or others
- Destruction of personal property
- The applicant must be adaptable to a group living environment and be able to do the following:
- Sleep in a dormitory style setting without disruptive behavior
- Take meals in a cafeteria style setting without excessive disruptive behavior
- Remain with his/her group throughout the daytime and night-time activities and meals
- Follow directions given by our counselors, staff, and volunteers for safe distancing, hand washing and wearing face masks
An applicant will not be admitted the day of check-in if his/her health endangers others or if there is a problem requiring the attention of a physician. Such conditions include but are not limited to:
- A temperature of 100 degrees or above
- Feeling ill in any way
- An open wound or lesion; or a rash
- Parasites such as lice and scabies
- Any signs of an infectious or communicable disease/illness such as diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, body or muscle aches, fatigue, shortness of breath or breathing difficulty, congestion or runny nose, cough, loss of taste or smell
Lions Camp Horizon reserves the right to dismiss any individual from participation in program activities if staff determines medical conditions or behaviors exhibited by the camper pose harm to himself/herself/themself or others. Considerable discussion and deliberation is given before an individual is deemed unable to meet our minimum standards and must be dismissed. Dismissal does not necessarily deny the individual admission to future camp programs. However, an interview will be required with the camper, the parent/guardian, and/or primary care givers as part of the application process.
Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Upon receipt, camp staff will review the application as quickly as possible and will make every attempt to fulfill your choice of session(s). Following review, you will receive an email advising the status (acceptance, added to out “wait list”, denial, or incomplete application). We appreciate your interest in our summer camp programs and thank you for your patience during this process.
Camper Cancellation Policy
Registration Fees are non-refundable.
- Written cancellation received 90 days before session start date: 100% refund
- Written cancellation received 60 days before session start date: 75% refund
- Written cancellation received 30 days before session start date: 50% refund
- No refunds will be issued with less than 30 days cancellation. Medical exceptions will be reviewed on an individual basis.
Your privacy is important to us. To better protect your privacy we provide this notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used. This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information about people who visit our website, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please check this page occasionally. By using our website, you are agreeing to be bound by this policy.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, when you fill out one of the forms on our website.
What type of information is collected from you?
The personal information we collect may include your name, address, email address, IP address, phone number, and information regarding what pages are accessed and when.
Other types of information we may collect via third parties:
- IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your internet service provider. An IP address may be logged automatically in our server log files whenever you access our site, along with the time of the visit and the pages visited. Collecting IP addresses is done automatically by many websites, applications, and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels and diagnosing server problems. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Using pixel tags and similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some services to, among other things, track the actions of users (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about use of the services and response rates.
How is your information used?
We may use your information to:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and us;
- seek your views or comments on the services we provide;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you;
- activities, promotions, of our associated services.
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
Who has access to your information?
We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. We will not sell or rent your information to third parties. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
Third Party Service Providers working on our behalf: We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents, subcontractors, and other associated organizations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf. However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service.
Finally, we never use or share the personally identifiable information provided to us online in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. We may have forms which connect to our direct marketing email lists. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications from us about our services, then you can select your choices by ticking the relevant boxes situated on the specific form(s) on which we collect your information for direct marketing purposes.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone or text message unless you have given your prior consent. We will not contact you for marketing purposes by post if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us. Any messages sent via our direct marketing will have an option to unsubscribe.
How You Can Access and Update Your Information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. If you need to update any of the information we hold, please contact us. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time upon verification of your identity in accordance with local laws. We recommend you include documents that prove your identity and a clear and precise description of the information which you request access to.
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Lions Camp Horizon Foundation holds about you.
Security Precautions in Place to Protect the Loss, Misuse, or Alteration of Your Information
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, Lions Camp Horizon Foundation has put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. All pages are encrypted and protected with the following software 128 Bit encryption on SSL. When you are on a secure page, a lock icon will appear on the bottom of web browsers such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Non-sensitive details (your email address etc.) are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Use of ‘cookies’
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes, and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to Other Websites
In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
13 or Under
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13. Users with legal guardians, regardless of user age, are intended to only use our website with guardian consent.
Transferring Your Information
If you choose to provide us with personally identifiable information, Lions Camp Horizon Foundation may transfer that information to third parties, across borders, and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and by providing your personally identifiable information you consent to:
- the transfer of your personally identifiable information to the United States as indicated above.
Review of this Policy
This Policy was last updated on November 12, 2019.